Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Distance is nothing when the LOVE is real!

-->
distance in loveTwo year I went to Ghana for the first time in 16 years, I meet and old friend that was in my Sunday school class. I was four years old when we were in Sunday school and he was eight years old. We started talking when I was in Ghana and started dating when I came back to U.S. When I came back I didn’t think this relationship was going to work because we are millions of miles apart. There were times that I just wanted to give up not because of anything but only because he was “too far” and I wasn’t able to see him like the way I wanted to see him. We think that “talking” to that person almost daily, and visiting each other monthly of semi-monthly equals a relationship. Which is not true, because I’ve seen relationships were they talk and visit each other when ever they want but yet it still feel apart.

If you really want to get individuals to tell you how they “really feel,” ask for their opinions on long-distance relationships. Most of us, for whatever reason(s), have strong negative points about long-distance relationships and in many cases, our perceptions of this type of relationship are driven by personal experiences or experiences of friends. Some folks; however, have views of long-distance relationships based on anecdotal information or unadulterated gossips.
Ask why people are against long-distance relationship and you will almost certainly get  one or a combination of these rationalizations: It is really hard; it takes time; it takes too much patience; it is stressful.

While these rationales for opposing long-distance relationship are entirely compelling, a person has to wonder out loud; aren’t all relationships, regardless of proximity, really hard and stressful? Don’t all relationships, in any case, take time and patience?
Believe it or not, many people enter relationships for the wrong reason(s), whatever it may be. Call me naïve, but I absolutely do not think that any relationship will work if people go into the relationship with off the mark reason(s). Heck, you can live next to each other, or in the same house, yet the relationship will falter.

Truth is, a long-distance relationship, like any other serious relationship, is more than talking and “seeing” each other on occasions – although these are certainly elements of the relationship. Long-distance relationship, like any relationship, is a “partnership”. And you do not start a partnership without identifying your overall goals and/or objectives. BUT, when it comes to our relationships, most of us are ignorant to what we want from such relationship.

You see, most people, while they get into long-distance relationships, are not equipped to handle this type of relationship and expect things to work out because, “love knows no boundaries”, we say. We deceive ourselves into thinking that things will work out and when they don’t we say that long-distance relationships do not work.

Last year when I went to Ghana I was finally able to say, that long distance relationship can work. Yes, there were times when I wanted to give up because I was not seeing him and thought he was cheating on me because I wasn’t there. But it turned out to be that he wasn’t doing any of the things thought he was doing, it turn out to be that I didn’t trust him. But after dealing with the trust issue and being able to understand each other, we were able to make it work. Today I am this planet because I am engage to the love of my life, that same person that I had doubts about because of distance and because society said that long distance relationships don’t last. I’ve learned to out look the distance between us and work on things that are much more important such as trust, understanding and knowing the real reason why we are together.

Yes, long-distance relationship can be challenging. Yes, it may be tougher than close-proximity relationships, yet we should not be quick to make sweeping negative remarks about long-distance relationship, especially because we failed at it or are not equipped to deal with it.

10 comments:

  1. My sister lives here in Minnesota but has a boyfriend in the Netherlands. They have been dating for over a year and have met in person, it is true love. Thanks for publishing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I just want to say that I know exactly what you are going through. Although my relationship is only 2 hours away, not as far as yours, it is still hard and a struggle that you have to decide if it is worth it or not. My boyfriend will be leaving for the peace corps in June and I know we will break up, which will be hard. I can relate to your story so much, that it is such an inspiration that someone else is going through the same thing, no matter how hard it can be. I do want to say that you should spell/grammar check things because it makes it hard to understand sometimes and you want the meaning to get across to your readers. Way to let people know though that if something is worth it, you should fight for it. I totally agree! Nice blog, Perpetual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, congrats to you and partner! And secondly, I definitely appreciate your post! I've been in three long distance relationship and three close-proximity relationships, and I definitely agree with you: Both are hard, both are stressful, and both definitely take a lot of work. And while it's tough not being able to engage in the physical aspects of a relationship (hugging, etc..) a long distance relationship, at least in my mind, definitely has some benefits over a close-proximity one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, engaged life is fun, I must say! Im glad you were able to find your true love. I could not imagine the fear you went through, wondering if you were going to last/ or end up together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is adorable! i think that long distance relationships are almost more special. when you do get to see him, its so much more exciting then if you get to see him all the time. congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all really cute and useful information for anyone in a long-distance relationship..and I'm really happy for you and all...but I fail to see how this is bringing about a progressive, social change. Find a topic next time that advocates for an idea and exists to challenge or proliferate ideas and save things like this for your personal blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can completely relate to this blog. I feel the same way about long-distance relationships. I have struggled in them and I have dealt with the negatives. People have ups and downs, but it is true. Love will find a way and life has no bounds if you can truly be happy, than don't let distance get the best of yourself. I can't say much to critique this blog because I can relate and it hit me pretty hard. Maybe you could try seeing it and putting it into perspective for people who have had long distance relationships fail. Maybe try and get them to restore their faith. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great to read a positive blog. You sound like a strong, ambitious and passionate person. This blog was great to get to know you, and I'm excited to read more of your views on activism. Do you think you could write a piece about international love? Or society's conceptions/misconceptions about relationships and/or trust? Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone in a long distance relationship, I really loved this post! I agree that there are so many more things to worry about when the person you love is not in the same city as you. Your story gives me hope for my relationship, because you definitely worked through the challenges to have a great success story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure about this post from an activist standpoint, but it's an interesting introduction.

    ReplyDelete